Instant Pot Tamales

Corn husks—soak in a bowl of water for 30 minutes

4 ½ C masa (I used Maseca brand tamale masa)
3 sticks butter, softened (I used 1/3 C warm/liquid bacon grease and 2 sticks + 3 T salted butter)
1 T baking powder
1 ½ t salt
2-3 C liquid (I ended up using 2C warm water)
Mix everything except liquid. Then slowly add enough liquid until it's a playdoh consistency—soft and easy to mold, but doesn't stick to your hands (too wet—add more masa), or crumble (too dry—add more liquid).

You can use any filling you want. I used some leftover pulled pork, some green enchilada sauce, and a small slice of Monterey Jack cheese in each one.

Take a moistened corn husk, place some masa on the husk, and pat it down into an approximate rectangle. Add your filling. Pull each side of the husk toward the center, so the dough covers the filling. Then finish wrapping with the husk, and fold the small pointy side up.
*This is a pretty simple video for tamale assembly if you are unfamiliar:
https://youtu.be/bFVpO25eGeQ
Place tamales, folded side down and open end up, either on the trivet or in a steamer basket. (I actually took the insert out of the IP, left the trivet in, and put the insert on its side so I could stack the tamales in without them falling over. Once it was mostly filled, I could right the insert and the tamales stayed standing up. Then I just put the insert back in the IP.) Add 2 C water along the side. Close the IP, make sure the valve is set to "sealing", press manual (should be high pressure) and adjust to 18 min. It took about 15 min to come to pressure. After the 18 min, I let it sit (natural pressure release) for 10 min, then released the rest of the pressure (quick release) by poking the valve with a wooden spoon to switch from sealing to "venting".
To eat, you unwrap the tamale and discard the husk (they are only used in the cooking process). You can serve as is if they are moist, or add sauce, cheese, sour cream, etc.
Makes approximately 20 tamales

Recipe by Stacy Inclan

No comments:

Post a Comment