Black Bean Cakes

2 cups black beans, drained and mashed
1 T. tomato paste
2 T. finely minced red onion
½ C. fine bread crumbs (plain or Italian)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 T. red bell pepper, chopped
½ t. cumin
¼ t. oregano
1 t. balsamic vinegar
1 egg, beaten
salt & pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Make small to medium sized patties. Dip each in yellow corn meal. Fry in hot oil (I use olive oil) for 3 minutes on each side. If you want them even spicier, you can add ½ roasted jalapeno pepper. I leave this out, as it is very flavorful and we don’t like them too hot! I serve these cakes with a salad. Enjoy!!

This is a really excellent recipe that our daughter, Launie and family, and Bill and I just love. It’s from a restaurant in Virginia, the Kenmore Inn. The manager’s wife got it out of a cookbook and it was such a tremendous hit, she shared it with us. We’ve been making these for years now and you’ll love them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment